AG Gallery "The Strange Hearts Club" | Interview with Philippa Rice


The Strange Hearts Club
Cat Rabbit & Philippa Rice
Sep.15 - Oct. 4, 2016

I am happy and very excited to see this exhibition came true as one of the staff members at About Glamour. This is a special treat for us to exhibit two artists in one exhibition. Their imaginary characters are not only cute, but also they give you a feeling of being alive. 

In this blog I would like to share the interview from the inspiring illustrator, comic author, and animation artist, Phillipa Rice. Next blog will be an interview with Cat Rabbit, an unique textile artist, so Please come back and make sure to chick it out!


Philippa Rice at her studio


Q 1 - Please tell us a little bit about your background…
I studied animation at university, and after that I started making comics in my spare time. I eventually managed to make comics into my full-time job, after self publishing some books of my online comics. Since then I have also worked with publishers and also take on freelance work at times.

Q 2 -What was the first work of art that you saw or experienced that you still remember today?
When I was little I loved all the animations on TV made with models. I used to love watching repeats of the Bagpuss and The Clangers.

Q3 -Who were your earliest influencers of famous artists or creators?
Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin who made Bagpuss!

Q4 -Please tell us about your work... -What do you make?
I started making a webcomic called My Cardboard Life in 2008. I used collage materials like paper and cardboard to make the panels and characters. I also draw a lot of comics, including my autobio comic Soppy. I really enjoy all kinds of crafts especially crochet and model making. I have made a lot of characters and use them to make animations for my youtube channel Soft Spot.

Q5 -What generally inspires or influences you to create your work?
I'm inspired by lots of different things, but particularly by real life events and moments that I write down in my diary and then later illustrate it or turn it into something else.
I also love anything cute or silly and if I can include things like that in my stories or characters then I'm happy.

Q6 -What is the main challenge for you when creating your work?
I often try to work on too many things at once and it's difficult to say focused and get anything finished, especially when real life gets in the way too.

Q7 -What are you currently working on?
I've almost finished a new book which is a sort of sequel to Soppy, but instead of being about me, it's a guided journal so that people can fill it in with their own stories.

Q8 -What is your dream or goal as an artist in 3 years? 5 years?
If I name a specific dream I'm sure it won't come true! I hope that in 5 years time I'll still be making as many comics and animations as I am now!

Lastly, Do you have any message to visitors for this exhibition?
I hope you enjoy our show. Say hi to all the characters from me!
I have made several crochet characters, a few different types of animals. There are also sculpey models which I've painted and varnished. There are prints and also original collages made from different papers, with paint details. And the animations to watch too! Hopefully all the different things will give you a good idea of the different mediums I like to work in. 


Thank you for reading our exclusive interview with Philippa!
We look forward to your visit at AG Galley.